The Institute had its beginnings in the board room of the Wellington Hospital on the 6 October 1936 9.55 am. At the first meeting of the Hospital Engineers in New Zealand it was decided to form the ‘Public Hospital Engineers’ Association’.
There were 11 Engineers present and letters from 15 others signifying their intention of joining. These were all Chief Engineers of Hospital Boards of which there were many in those days. These engineers were almost all steam men and mostly ex marine engineers.
The Association has survived many changes in its 75 years of existence, at times being a cross between a professional body and a trade union.
It became the N.Z. Hospital Engineers’ Association to accommodate private and mental hospitals and others, apart from Chief Engineers, who had qualifications, both mechanical or electrical and titles and responsibilities as Engineers.
In 2005 the Association was renamed to New Zealand Institute of Healthcare Engineering. It is an Institute that our founders would be very proud of.